February 07, 2011

Challenge! via local demo group

I love a good challenge. There is nothing that expands creativity more than to be restricted to meet certain criteria that someone else establishes. That may sound counter productive, but it's really not because it forces the mind to focus on a set of rules that you have to fit creativity within.  That can be challenging since we typically all do the same things over and over. So here are a few challenge cards that we did recently as part of a group challenge.

the first one is a Valentine card that uses "out of the box" colors melon mambo, pacific point, daffodil delight and one neutral. The challenge didn't require a Valentine card, but that was my additional restriction. So I have this wheel I made out of scrap pieces of rubber I've been wanting to use and it reminds me of bricks so I made a house with a round window and a window box of heart flowers.  It was really fun to make.





the second one was an inspiration challenge. When presented with a photo, the card was made by what inspired us in the photo.  My inspiration was color, naturals and a soft touch. So I chose to use cajun craze, pear pizazz, early espresso accents and very vanilla. The stamp set is Always, one of my personal favorites that I don't use near enough. The heart and the bird were stamped with early espresso ink and embossed with clear embossing powder. then I used markers and did a little watercoloring and emboss resist with the heart and the bird to get the flowers colored in. To make the very vanilla paper look like old parchment, I tore the edges and the sponged all over it with early espresso and soft suede inks.  Use a very light touch since a little goes a long way with this technique.


The last one is my personal favorite. It uses another of my favorites, Friends 24-7. This one was a sketch challenge. For the background I stamped in white craft ink and then embossed with white powder the image.  The rest is pretty straight forward. Not at all a very complex card, but a big pop for sure.

No comments: